Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Cup Stitch



Time for another 100 Stitches Plus post.  I just learned how to do this interesting stitch - the Cup Stitch.    


For my floss, I used perle cotton - DMC #742


The stitch is made by looping around a triangle foundation formed from three Straight Stitches.  
To make the triangle, I came up through my fabric:


Went back into the fabric at a slight diagonal:



and pulled all the way through to complete the first Straight Stitch.  This forms the left side of the triangle:


Next I came up through the fabric to start to form the bottom side of the triangle:


I pulled all the way through and went back into the fabric at the base of the left side.  



I pulled all the way through, forming the bottom side of the triangle and then I came back out of the fabric at the top of the left side of the triangle:



I pulled all the way through and then went back into the fabric at the right edge of the bottom side of the triangle. 


I pulled all the way through and that completed the triangle foundation: 



To start the looping stitches, I came up through the fabric just below the bottom side of the triangle: 



I pulled all the way through:


Next I brought the needle around and slipped it under the bottom edge of the triangle.  I didn't go into or pick up any of the fabric, I just slid the needle under the triangle edge.  As I slide the needle under the edge, notice the position of the needle to that of the working thread:


First it slides under the working thread and then over the working thread.  This will automatically form the loop when the needle is pulled all the way through:


The first loop:



Next, I brought the needle around and repeated the loop steps - needle sliding under the triangle and then under/over the working thread:



I continued the looping all around the sides of the triangle:



until I was back to where I started.  To make higher sides to the cup, you can do another round of looping stitches all around the triangle. 



I did the second round and then when I was back to the beginning, I went back into the fabric:



and secured my floss underneath:



I like this stitch!  I also like the puffy effect the double stitching gives so I think in the future, when I use this stitch I will always use the double stitching.



This stitch is from the book Embroidery Stitches by Mary Webb.

No comments: