Wednesday, February 4, 2015

100 Stitches - Tent Stitch




Time for another 100 Stitches post.  This is the Tent Stitch - also known as Petit Point.  Since I am using my new canvas, you may have guessed that this stitch is in the Canvas Embroidery category ;) 

To work this stitch, I am using perle cotton floss, this is DMC No. 988:


The first row of this stitch is worked from left to right.  First,  I came up through the canvas:


Pulled the floss all the way through, circled around to the left and went back into the canvas one square to the left and one square below the square where my floss first emerged:


The needle will now come back out of the canvas one row above and two squares to the right of where it just went in:


 Pull all the way through, circle around to the left and repeat - into the canvas one square below and to the left:


and emerge one row above and two squares to the right of where the needle went in:


I just kept repeating that stitch:


until I had a row of stitching.  To make the next row, the stitch is worked from right to left:


Just repeat and now the same steps working from right to left.  Then left to right for the third row and so on....:


This is a really nice stitch, I like the way it fills in the canvas.

The Tent Stitch is number 83 on the 100 Stitches list.











2 comments:

Darlene said...

I know this stitch. Except I didn't know it's name. I called it either a half-cross stitch or needlepoint.

It does fill in fast. I like the green you chose to demonstrate...I am sure wishing for Spring! :-)

Kim said...

Darlene - Thank you :) I love this green it does remind me of spring!