Friday, June 20, 2014

100 Stitches - Needleweaving


Time for another stitch on my 100 Stitches list.  This is called Needleweaving. 
The category is Drawn Thread Embroidery so I used some medium to loose weave linen.  For the floss, I used perle cotton, this is DMC #4240 color variations: 


For Drawn Thread Embroidery, the area to work has the horizontal threads removed and then the idea is to stitch over the remaining vertical threads.  For this stitch, I made two vertical cuts about 3/4" apart and 1/2" high:



The directions for this stitch were really straightforward.  I started on the right hand side at the top edge and brought the needle up alongside the first group of vertical threads. 


I went over the first group, under the second group...then continued right to left alternately over-under until I was at the left edge:


Then I started back left to right weaving over and under.  Notice on this second pass, I am passing the needle under the thread groups I previously went over:

And then a third pass:

I just continued until I had filled the entire open space:

The underside of this stitch is interesting, there were no instructions in 100 Stitches on starting or finishing so I just left my floss ends loose.  If I were actually using this stitch on a project, I would need to figure out a way to secure the ends!


I like the look of this stitch.  I did this in blue so that it would be easy to see but I think it would be so beautiful in white floss on white fabric.


This is #79 on the list of 100 Stitches and is found in the Drawn Thread Embroidery Category.

3 comments:

Darlene said...

This is a pretty stitch! I think the blue is striking, and I think it would look lovely in red, too.

Lilasesazuis said...

Kim,

Eu também tenho esse livro, com muitos pontos de bordados...adoro!!

Essa sua amostra é muito delicada, a cor destacou no branco.

O ponto é bonito.

As extremidades acho que você vai ter que dar um jeitinho de esconder pelo avesso...

Querida, tenha uma ótima semana,

beijinhos,

Lígia e =^.^=

Kim said...

Thanks Darlene - it would be beautiful in red!
Olá Ligia. Obrigado! Você está gostando deste livro? Você está aprendendo alguns desses pontos? Sim, acho que tecer as extremidades em que trabalho! Tenha uma semana maravilhosa :)