Monday, March 19, 2012

A new wip and some fat quarters:

I transferred this zinnia pattern onto fabric and I am going to stitch it up in these bright colors:


So far, I have stitched the flower stem using the portuguese stem stitch and the leaves in satin stitch:


For the flower petals, I first thought I would stitch each petal in long and short stitch and use two colors of floss.  This pink and the red.  But I didn't really like the pink added into my color combination.  So then I decided to outline each petal with back stitch and fill each petal with some sort of filling stitch but I didn't really like the way that was looking:


So I outlined each petal using back stitch.  I still need to add the french knots to the flower center:


Now onto the flower pot.  I am using the scroll stitch to give swirly edges to the pot rim:


I love this blue color:


I think I will do the scroll stitch on the top edge of the rim as well. 


I will post more pictures as I finish this project.  I also wanted to share a picture of some floss that I just bought as well as these two beautiful fabrics.  Each is a fat quarter.  I really like the colors on these.

13 comments:

Mandy said...

Oh cute embroidery! & what is the name of the green fabric? It's really nice! I need to find it!

Kim said...

Hi Mandy, Thanks! I wish I knew the name of the green fabric :( it was a pre-cut fat quarter - the fabric store had just labeled it "green assorted"!

donna!ee said...

beautiful wip, as always. what r u going to embroider on the fq? :)

Emma Breadstill said...

This is beautiful, you make me want to embroider more xxx

Kim said...

Thanks donna!ee - I mostly wanted this fabric for my fabric supply but it would be really pretty if I embroidered on it - especially the green one.
Hi Emma - Thank you! It is fun :)

Johanna said...

I love how you incorporate the more advanced stitches into your work! :) It's so easy to just stick with the basics, but you push it further than that :)

Kim said...

Thanks Johanna! I really love to use the stitches I am learning.

Angela Lee said...

The scroll stitch for the pot is ingenious. And your satin stitch is fabulous. Mine never look that good - ever! Love, love, love the fabric.

Kim said...

:) Thanks so much Angela! I am really pleased with the scroll stitch - I had wondered about using it on such a small space but it worked really well!

Cheryl Marie said...

Ooooo...that black, white, gray print is divine!

Kim said...

Thank you Cheryl!

scarlette said...

that is a most georgeous Zinnia - can you tell me the brand and name so i can grow some and where do you live. here in Virginia we still get occasional frosts so no zinnias yet.
thanks shobbs@vcu.edu - Scarlette

Kim said...

Hi Scarlette, Thank you! I usually grow the "Oklahoma" zinnia seeds. I live in the Pacific NW and these will bloom in late summer here. I love them!